Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Mary Mary Quite Contrary....

I always believed I was a country girl stuck in the city. When I say stuck I dont mean that in a bad way. I loved the proximity to shopping centers. I truly enjoyed jumping in my car and in 2 minutes I had a fountain Pepsi on ice. But I always thought compared to my friends I was definately country.

I was very surprised this weekend. First because an old friend finally found me in rural Utah. When I say rural it isn't rural like some of you. But... It is 20 minutes to the nearest shopping center and that includes fountain Pepsi. But I digress... This friend asked me isn't that "country"? and I replied kind of. She said, "well what are you doing out there"? I said, "well honey I am living". This conversation got me thinking and that is when I decided that I was more country then most of my friends. However, on Sunday we (Husband and I) planted a garden and this sounded cute and quaint and there was much excitement.

Today, sunburned with heatstroke and pain in muscles I wasnt aware of I realize; I am not country at all......Maybe, my address but me I am fine with buying tomatoes at the local grocery store. Really I am. After having said that let me say that the day (72 away) that I can harvest something edible I will probably change my mind.

I guess the result is I am confused. I want some country with a touch of city or vice versa. I have always been one to like my cake and eat it too. I am pretty happy though that beginning this year and those that follow my children will experience the beauty that for me was grandma's house. Fresh veggies, hot sun and weed pulling. I remember those days fondly and hope that with age my children too will carry on the tradition of the generations that came before them.

T..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home