Thursday, April 13, 2006

When I was 14 I attended a rural Jr. High School where kids actually enjoyed being a part of Future Farmers of America. The difference between these kids and me was the fact that I lived in a trailer court and hadn't been no where near a farm. For many years we co existed just fine the farmers and the trailer park kids but Jr. High was a new animal.

About this time I started to use substances, any substance, all substances to feel different. I didn't want to be labeled white trash because of where I lived. The insanity is that I would be what I define trash today. Our home was filthy, my stay at home mom was actually a drunk. There were no fresh baked cookies waiting for me when I got home. There was no time set aside for homework and help with homework was not a consideration. So substances became a way of feeling warm and fuzz. Even under the influence I was a straight A student. It was hard not to be, for me.

My baby girl is 14. She attends what could very well be a rural school but actually appears to be a factory for teenage drama. My daughter is very different from me in the sense that I care what is happening with her. I help with homework, her father will help and we are emotionally available at all times. She is as intelligent if not more than I was at 14 because so far as I know she isn't escaping through chemicals. This child cannot pass her math class. No amount of help is working. She does great on the assignments and fails the test???? Does this make any sense to you internet. I tell her 10 minutes before school lets out bring your math book home. 10 minutes after she gets home it clicks "she forgot it"

What is it that makes an absent parents child and honor roll drug addict and protective parents child a flake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home