Monday, September 11, 2006

My 9/11 Blog

I have a routine, I awake each morning and find the coffee in a daze. It isn't until I reach the bottom of the first cup that a coherent thought crosses my mind. 5 years ago today, I took that last sip and stepped into a realm of shock. A tragic accident I thought...

My boyfriend had just journeyed out the door to work and my daughter was fighting the morning war. I was dreading the impending monotony of the a college student life. Then the 2nd plane hit and my stomach jumped in my throat and acid tears came to my eyes. This was no accident. I promptly speed dialed my boyfriend to share my pain. My daughter came out the of war zone and focused on what would be a historical event in the making. I did hug her a little tighter as she left for school that day.

After my second cup and the seemingly endless replay of tragedy I mustered the courage to face the campus that day. Being a social science major that day was one of much debate. There were the hippee, anti-violence, pro-support people. Then there was the group of people who wanted to see much death and destruction to avenge the lives of those who died. Of course by now news of the Pentagon and the flight of courageous passengers was known. I was heart broken. I fit somewhere in the middle. I dont believe in war, I dont support war, but I also am not willing to sit back and let my country be attacked.

What should we as a nation do?

Fast Forward, 5 years. Did our nation make the right choice? Was military action the answer? I think not. This is my oppinion. I still today do not support war. Do I know what we as a nation could have done differently? Not really but I am not president for a reason. I am not a political public figure for a reason. I think we could have affected the terrorists without killing innocent people... And innocent people have died...

On that note, do I support our troops. 100%. Do I believe what they are doing is right? How can I disagree they are doing exactly what they signed up to do. The president is their commander and they follow orders. I also believe that most of our soldiers are enhancing the lives of many civilians. I believe they are painting a picture of freedom to the women and children of the war torn countries. For that I am grateful. I am grateful that there are men and women courageous enough to put their lives on the line for my freedom.

I fought the war of addiction and I was shackled physically daily by a terrorist that lived with in me. The day I gained freedom was the day I started to live. With this in mind I owe my "life" to those who defend the freedom I enjoy today. It is just too bad we have to imprison other countries in fear until a few leaders can be aprehended.

I pray today for those who have loved and lost as a result of the attacks and subsequent war. I not only pray for my brothers and sisters here in America but also the humans of the other countries affected. I also pray for those who live on and continue to watch as our world struggles for peace and serenity. I pray that each of us has the courage to defend our principles and voice our values. For this is Freedom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home