Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Principles before Personalities

These words are an affirmation: "We listen to our conscience and do what's right, no matter who's involved:' And that principle serves as one of the cornerstones of recovery as well as our traditions. Putting principles before personalities teaches us to treat everyone equally. The Twelfth Step asks us to apply principles in all our affairs; the Twelfth Tradition suggests we apply them to our relations with everyone.

I will listen to my conscience and do what's right. My focus will be on principles, not on people's personalities.

Many times when I come here to write I read the daily meditation and I contemplate its meaning, and the part it plays in my life today. I am not sure everyone is interested in the guidance I receive daily however this is my blog.

I was speaking with a friend regarding the nature of our service structure. Just as the nation gets crazy before a big election, the fellowship has went wacko before new elections. The person who currently chairs our committee called Hospitals and Institutions feels misunderstood, as if no one is listening. As we were talking I thought of the reasons I no longer attend this sub committee (by not participating in the monthly sub committee I am less likely to make it to a meeting). I tried to apply the principles. See I don’t mind being acquainted or even sharing my life with this woman but if I allow judgment to creep in I don’t like the way she lives and I don’t like the way she leads. So how do I apply principles and at the same time teach.

I am very good at being honest, almost to the point of being hurtful sometimes and this is something I have worked on. I asked God was I honest, yet compassionate. Did I teach yet not create resentment. When I opened my email today and saw the topic for the meditation I took that as a “yes” you did well, today.

So how do you apply principles before personalities and do you find this easier with other addicts. Sometimes I put too high of expectations on people who don’t share this disease, do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home